Click Here for the Project Site Map and Links

The PeaceHavens Project

join here ..


Russian Hemp Bale Seals from

Liverpool and District


 (4 seals found to date with 0 seals awaiting upload as of 24th March 2019)




Russian Lead Flax/Hemp Bale Seals from Liverpool

The Old Dock at Liverpool in 1715 - Note the Red Ensign or "Red Duster" flag on the

 building and flown by the Royal Navy and later specifically by British Merchant Seamen.



Flax Bale Seals from Liverpool Museum (NML)


Inspectors and Posts

for Liverpool


 Bushev.I.M      1826 314

 Shchukin.G      1787   1

 Tostik.S        1835  88




Posts / Inspectors / #

for Liverpool

  1 G.Shchukin     NML001

 88 S.Tostik       NML002

314 I.M.Bushev     NML003


OBVERSE  click thumbnail

REVERSE click thumbnail


no photo


no photo


(Rein Hemp)


no photo


no photo


(Pen' Hemp)


no photo


no photo



(Rein Hemp)


Flax and Hemp Bale Seals from Liverpool


OBVERSE  click thumbnail

REVERSE click thumbnail




crossed keys

2 (grade)




OBVERSE  click thumbnail

REVERSE click thumbnail
More information about Liverpool Docks can be seen here

  LIVERPOOL. An important port for over a 1000 years for exporting salt and textiles and later as an intermediary between Manchester and the Irish flax industry. The slave trade played a major part.  By 1750, 43% of all British slave ships were setting sail from Liverpool, rising to 79% by the time the trade was abolished in 1807 which lead to growth in the import and export of textiles during the industrial revolution in the 19th century.  Liverpool mainly imported cotton for the mills of Lancashire and North Wales.  Flax being of much lesser importance .. most coming through Lancaster via St George's Quay, for the Bentham Mills.   In the early 18th century much of the Irish linen went through the port of Chester, this reached it's zenith in the mid 18th century, much of the trade moving to Liverpool. Liverpool, on the north west coast of England, was the major slaving port in the north of England. The trade from this small port developed in the early 18th century. In the 1740s Liverpool overtook Bristol in the slave trade. The reasons for this are not clear. Liverpool may have had lower local wage rates than Bristol, which would led to higher profits for investors. The city had good port facilities and closer access to the manufacturing towns of the north and midlands than Bristol. Liverpool may have overtaken Bristol in the slave trade because its merchants were more enterprising, and more willing to take risks, than merchants elsewhere. Liverpool remained the country’s major slaving port for the rest of the century.



Wishing Gate 1797


1) Tower Fort & fishing boats  2) Customs House with importers

 3) The Castle - c.1680



Goree Warehouses 1829

Stormy Mersey 1836

The Old Dock at Liverpool in 1715 - Note the Red Ensign or

 "Red Duster" flag on the building and flown by the Royal Navy

and later specifically by British Merchant Seamen.

Paddle Steamer 1841

Paddle Steamer 1854

Liverpool c.1680

Liverpool Docks 1839


Between 1709 and 1825, when the docks were under the direct control of the corporation,

 the following wet docks were opened in Liverpool :—
1. Old Dock, opened 31 August 1715; closed 31 August 1826.
2. Salthouse Dock, opened 1753; altered 1842; enlarged 1855.
3. George's Dock, opened 1771; enlarged 1825; closed 1900.
4. King's Dock, opened 1788; closed 1906, the name being preserved for two new branches of the Wapping Dock.
5. Queen's Dock, opened 1796; enlarged 1816; deepened and half-tide dock added 1856, and closed 1905; enlarged 1901; branches added 1901, 1905; altered 1906.
6. Union Dock, opened 1816; thrown into Coburg Dock 1858.
7. Prince's Dock, opened 1821; half-tide dock added 1868.
The total area of wet docks in 1825 amounted to 46 acres 3,179 sq. yds.; the lineal quayage to a little over 2 miles. The dock dues paid in the same year amounted to £130,911. It may be noted that the first London Dock was not opened until 1802.


Between 1825 and 1857, when the docks were under the control of the Dock Committee,

 the Old Dock was closed (1826), and the following new docks were opened:—
 1. Canning Dock, opened 1829; previously a basin known as the Dry Dock, opened 1753; enlarged 1842.
 2. Clarence Docks, &c., opened 1830; enlarged 1853.
 3. Brunswick Docks, opened 1832; enlarged 1848, 1858, 1889; branch dock added 1878; altered 1900.
 4. Waterloo Dock, opened 1834; reconstructed as E. and W. Waterloo Docks, 1868.
 5. Victoria Dock, opened 1836; altered 1848.
 6. Trafalgar Dock, opened 1836.
 7. Coburg Dock, opened 1840; altered from Brunswick Basin; enlarged 1858; altered 1900.
 8. Toxteth Dock, opened 1842; closed to make way for new works, 1884.
 9. Canning Half-tide Dock, opened 1844.
10. Harrington Dock (bought), opened 1844; closed to make way for new works 1879.
11. Albert Dock, opened 1845.
12. Salisbury Dock, opened 1848.
13. Collingwood Dock, opened 1848.
14. Stanley Dock, opened 1848; partly filled in 1897.
15. Nelson Dock, opened 1848.
16. Bramley Moore Dock, opened 1848.
17. Wellington Docks, opened 1850; half-tide dock closed 1901.
18. Sandon Dock, opened 1851; half-tide dock added 1901; altered 1906.
19. Manchester Dock (bought), opened 1851.
20. Huskisson Dock, opened 1852; branch docks added 1861, 1872, 1902; altered 1896, 1897; enlarged 1900.
21. Wapping Dock and Basin, opened 1855; two King's Dock branches added 1906

   The water area in 1857 amounted to 192 acres 129 sq. yds., or an increase of over 82 acres in twenty-five years; the lineal quayage was about 15 miles; and the river-wall, when the Dock Board came into existence, already extended for just over 5 miles. At the same time the Dock Committee and the Corporation had acquired the Birkenhead Docks. It is clear that the old Dock Committee did not lack energy. For the ten years preceding the establishment of the Dock Board the dock dues averaged nearly £250,000. It was on the security of these that the capital for the construction of the docks was raised; and no profits were used for purposes other than the service of the port.   




 About PeaceHavens - This database is an ongoing project involving the daily finding and identification of Russian Lead Flax Bale Seals from the old disused 18th/19th century Flax Mills of the Industrial Revolution in the UK.    For many decades in the 18th & 19th centuries, Russia was by far the world's greatest exporter of these flax stems via Archangel, Konigsberg, Kronstadt, Libnau, Memel, Narva, Pernau, Revel, Riga, St Petersburg, Tilsit, Windau and Great Britain was Russia's major customer. Every bale of flax stems was fastened together with a lead seal by a quality control inspector. The discarded stems of the flax with seals still attached were prized as fertilizer by local farmers and were spread onto the land mixed with night soil manure.


The PeaceHavens Project

Website design and photos by Ged Dodd   Director of The PeaceHavens Project.
and powered with free uploading from 

COPYRIGHT 2013 x Ged Dodd aka PeaceHavens