Click here for the Project Site Map and Links

The PeaceHavens Project

Copyright 2020 © Ged Dodd

 aka PeaceHavens Project

 Click here for the terms
of free copy & share &
supporting your Project ..


Other Common Bag & Bale Seals

Not Russian Flax/Hemp Bale Seals


The PeaceHavens Project is for Russian Flax and Hemp bale seals but there are tens of thousands of

other kinds of seal. Here are a few of them. The best site for other bag and cloth seals is BagSeals.Org


Dutch Customs House Tax Seals

Dutch seals most often found in the UK come

 from the 19th century. They have a distinctive

tear-drop shape with measurements of approx.

23mm by 18mm. Their layout consists of a coat

of arms on one side and R&A with a number

(here it is 562) below this on the other.

see Dutch Seals  for more information

UK Customs and Excise Seals

On one side is the British crown and on the other

the phrase CUSTOMS (curved around the top)

AND (straight across the middle)

EXCISE (straight across the bottom).

The Tudor crown indicates it is from before 1953.

  see UK Custom Seals  for more information

 G&T.Earle Cement Bag Seals

The seal depicts a pelican with spread wings,

standing on a nest with five chicks. The inner

band reads, G & T EARLE LIMITED HULL,


Established in the early 19th century, with the

trade name ‘Pelican’ in September 1897.

see Cement Seals  for more information

 Fertilizer Bag Seals

One of the most common seals found in the

UK is a fertilizer seal and they come in lots

of different formats but usually they have a

Cornucopia symbol or Guano du Peru.

This seal is German, Ohlendorff & Co. Peru.

Dating from late 19th to early 20th Century.

Manure Bag Seals

Webb's Trademark for Prize Seeds, Grasses, Roots & Manures. Edward Webb set up as a seed merchant in the 19th century at Wordsley, Stourbridge in the West Midlands. In 1876 Edward Webb & Sons applied for a registered trademark (number 928), which covered agricultural seeds and artificial manures.

They took over, Proctor & Ryland in Saltney.

Post Office Square Seals

Another common seal found in the UK is a

Standard General Post Office square bag seal

with grill of five vertical bars on both sides and

on this one letter sack seal from Enniskillen in

Northern Ireland.. Oliver Cromwell established

the General Post Office in 1657.

see Post Office Seals  for more information

Henry Tate & Sons Sugar Bag Seal

Henry Tate (March 11, 1819 – Dec 5, 1899)

In 1859 Tate became a partner in John Wright

& Co. Sugar refinery. In 1869, he had complete

 control of the company, and renamed it Henry

 Tate & Sons.  In 1921, after Tate's death, the

company merged with Abram Lyle & Sons to

 form Tate and Lyle. see Sugar Seals

German Augsburg fustian seal

 Seals from the fustians (mixed linen-warp and cotton-weft fabrics) of Augsburg, are among the most common and widespread of all the recorded imports in England, constituting almost one third of the Continental seals found here in the UK.

 16th /early 17th century seems appropriate.



Hungarian Flour Bag Seals

Hungary's principal industry is flour-milling.

 Between 3,000,000 and 3,200,000 tons of wheat

flour are produced annually. The principal

 steam-mills are at Budapest; Many towns have

large steam-mills with water-mills & wind-mills.

Look for the grading numbers 0, 00, 000, 0000

see Flour Seals for more information

 Hungarian Flour Bag Seals




Various mills designated as


(Name) Steam Mill / Budapest

There were lots of flour mills in Hungary

who formed a common grade of quality

with a triangle made of three ears of

corn around the grade number & MT.

The mill name is on the reverse.

See Bagseals.Org for more information






M 1 T

inside triangle

       Hungarian Mills using the Triangular Trade Mark were

  Concordia Steam Mill Co., Lim.;
  Elizabeth Steam Mill Co.;
  First Budapest Steam Mills Co., Lim. (Erste Ofen-Pester)
  Gizella Steam Mills;
  Henry Haggenmacher Steam Flour Mills, Budapest;
  Louisa Steam Mill Co., Budapest (Hungary);
  Pannonia Steam Flour Mills;
  The Pesth Cylinder Flour Mill Co., Lim.

  (Pestihengermalom-társaság-Pester Walzmühl-Gesellschaft);
  The Pester Millers and Bakers Steam Flour Mills Co., Lim., Budapest;
  United Steam Mills of the Hungarian General Credit Bank;
  ”Victoria” Steam Mills, Budapest;
  Losonczer und Hatvaner Dampfmühlen in Losoncz;
  The Borsod Miskolcz Steam Flour Mill Co., Lim., in Miskolcz;
  ”István” Steam Mill Co., in Debreczen;
  The Nagyvárad “Laszlo” Cylinder Flour Mill Co., Lim., in Nagyvárad;
  The Szatmár Steam Mill Co., in Szatmár

French Flour Bag Seals




 Great Mills of Corbeil

 In the nineteenth century, milling went from being a small-scale, geographically dispersed, artisanal industry to a highly capitalistic industry dominated by a few dozen entrepreneures who set up large water-powered (and later steam- and electric-powered) mills to supply flour to the large cities and regional markets of France. The outstanding figure in this evolution was Aimé-Stanislas Darblay. Between the 1820s and 1860s, Darblay joined with his brother and later with his son Paul to build and operate a series of large mills that supplied flour on longterm contracts to the bakers of Paris ander the Six Marques label.
In the early years, the Darblay enterprise centered on the Saint-Maur mill, constructed in 1838 near the junction of the Seine and Marne rivers. It was powered by Fourneyron water turbines and incorporated the "American" system of milling - that is to say, it was a multistory, gravity-fed mill where grain went into the top and flour and bran came out the bottom with a minimum of human handling. In the 1860s, the centre of Darblay's operations shifted from Saint-Maur to Corbiel, souteast of Paris on the Essonne River. One of the oldest flour mills in France, Corbeil was probably the first one in the country to have the Amaerican system installed (in 1817) when it was owned by Hospices Générales de Paris. The Darblays leased Corbeil in 1838 and became outright owners in 1863, whereupon they sold Saint-Maur to the City of Paris and transferred its equipment to Corbeil.
...the Darblays moved into papermaking in 1868 by purchasing the Papeteries d'Essonnes. Because Paul Darblay focused increasingly on papermaking after his father's died in 1878, the Corbiel mills were recognized as a société anonyme in 1882. In 1888, the "Hungarian" milling system (in which cylinders replaced grindstones) was installed at Corbeil, and by 1900 the daily capacity of the mill had risen from 180 metric tons to 350 metric tons. That, plus the opening of an additional mill at Le Havre, kept Grands Moulins de Corbeil in first place among French milling companies at the turn of the century." 



Copyright 2020 © Ged Dodd

 aka PeaceHavens Project

 Click here for the terms
of free copy & share &
supporting your Project