PERNAU, Pärnu, Pernov (Russian) in Estonia. The Livonian
bishop, Henricus, first conferred town status on Pernau in 1251 although
there had been settlement here from the earliest times. The "new" town of
Pernau was also given town status in 1265 and the two continued separately
on either side of the river until they were united under the inter-war
Estonian government in 1920. From the 16th century it was
exporting timber, and later, flax to the Angus ports.
Pernau flax is Livonian and Fellin sorts, the latter being the best under
the following marks: Marienburg ; G, cut ; R, risten ; H D, Light Drieband
; D, Drieband ; O D, Ordinary Drieband; L O D, Low Ordinary Drieband.
.. also from Estonia.
Livonia carries on a large export trade, especially through Riga and
Pernau, in petroleum, wool, oilcake, flax, linseed, hemp, grain, timber
and wooden wares.
inhabitants with 1807 Customs seal.
Pernov became one of the main Russian ports
on the Baltic Sea - in the 18th century more
goods were exported through it than through
the Revel (Tallinn) port."